OUR METHODOLOGY: WHY WE ARE DIFFERENT!
At the Montreal Neurotherapy Center, we surround ourselves with the best Neuroscientists, Neuropsychologists, Physiotherapists and Specialists that have all the same passion and goal to bring to our patients the latest proven tools to fight against, sometimes devastating Neurologic, Psychological and Physical disorders. We challenge the traditional practice of rehabilitation medicine. The integrated therapy proposed aims to restore function beyond traditionally expected limits by employing both proven, newly developed and novel therapeutic procedures for progressive physical and cognitive training – while simultaneously applying non invasive brain stimulation.
Why it works?
Neurological conditions are a far more complex and multifactorial problem to treat than orthopedic conditions. It works because our established multidisciplinary modern expertise and our approach to assessment & treatment uses the latest proven technology and science. We don’t just treat the disorder itself but we work with our patients as a multifaceted entity that permits us to provide personalized treatments plans.
Click HERE to download our referral form.
AUDIOLOGY & SPEECH THERAPY
We provide and use the latest discoveries and treatment to our patients to bring modern solutions to auditory diseases and disorders. The Montreal Neurotherapy Center remains at the forefront of recognized scientific research that adds new therapeutic options to help these serious problems.
Neurological conditions such as TBI, tinnitus, vertigo, post stroke, vestibular disorders may also present hearing problems, tinnitus or speech problems.
Treatments we are using
- Acoustic Stimulation (AS)
- Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (RTMs)
- Tinnitus Desensitization Therapy TM
- Hearing Aid
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Dizziness and Balance Disorder
- Biofeedback & neurofeedback
COGNITIVE & BEHAVIORAL TRAINING
Research has shown that systematic brain training produces real world benefits. Cognitive Rehabilitation Therapy uses a number of different methods including individualized clinical therapeutic interactions, as well as computerized interventions.
The computer is an ideal training partner in Cognitive Remediation Therapy (CRT). The computer makes it easy to customize training and to track progress. Computerized cognitive training exercises are particularly useful in that they not only provide a wide variety of different types of exercises, both visual and auditory, but also will automatically become more challenging as the client progresses.
The goal is to help improve an individual’s ability to function after a brain injury or other neurological event, such as a stroke.
Medical supervision is concerned with diagnosis, evaluation, and management of patients of all ages with physical and/or cognitive impairment and disability.
It involves diagnosis and treatment of patients with painful or functionally limiting conditions, the management of comorbidities and co-impairments, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, electrodiagnostic medicine, and emphasis on prevention of complications of disability from secondary conditions. The Physician meets the Physiotherapist on a regular basis and is involved during the therapeutic process.
NEUROFEEDBACK / BIOFEEDBACK
Treatment with EEG neurofeedback is based on the theory that once individuals understand their brain activity and learn to manipulate their own brain waves, they will be able to continue to do so, long after the therapy has ended. Some studies have followed patients for as long as 10 years after being treated with EEG neurofeedback and have shown no significant loss of treatment gains.
We apply electrodes to the scalp to listen in on brainwave activity. We process the signal by computer, and we extract information about certain key brainwave frequencies. We show the ebb and flow of this activity back to the person, who attempts to change the activity level. Some frequencies we wish to promote. Others we wish to diminish. We present this information to the person in the form of a video game. The person is effectively playing the video game with his or her brain. Eventually the brainwave activity is “shaped” toward more desirable, more regulated performance. The frequencies we target, and the specific locations on the scalp where we listen in on the brain, are specific to the conditions we are trying to address, and specific to the individual.
19 Channel Neurofeedback
Unlike our normal one or two electrode neurofeedback training protocols, where we mainly concentrate on lowering the power in one specific region of the brain, 19 channel neurofeedback (also know as Z-score neurofeedback or “full cap” neurofeedback) can train up to 5700 variables at one time.
19 channel neurofeedback trains your brain using z-scores. This can be thought of as “real time” training where your brain is getting trained to be within normal limits as defined by a normative database in real time. 19 channel neurofeedback can train EEG coherence, phase delay, amplitude and power asymmetry, phase reset, phase lock and phase shift duration.
NON-INVASIVE NEUROMODULATION (NINM)
Neuromodulation is a technology that acts directly upon nerves. It is the alteration—or modulation—of nerve activity by delivering electrical or pharmaceutical agents directly to a target area. Neuromodulation devices can stimulate a response where there was previously none and involves the application of electrodes to the brain, the spinal cord or peripheral nerves.
At The Montreal Neurotherapy Center, we use various non invasive type of brain stimulation in combination with specific training:
- Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS)
- Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS)
- Passive Infrared Hemoencephalography (pIR HEG)
- Cranial Nerve Noninvasive Neuromodulation (CN-NINM)
Neuro-Psychological assessment involves the investigation of various aspects of function including intellectual, emotional, perceptual, sensory, strength, and coordination with consideration towards integrity of brain function. Detailed interview, review of medical and educational records, and the use of published standardized psychological tests are the most commonly used methods used in this type of assessment.
Our experienced Neuro-Psychologists can perform:
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD) Assessments
- Neuro psychological Assessments baseline before training
- Dyslexia & Learning Disabilities Assessments
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Assessments (including Asperger’s Syndrome)
- Giftedness Assessments
Personality and Psychological Assessments
We also offers a range of pediatric and adult Neuro-Psychological medico-legal expert witness assessments including for the following cases:
- Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence (e.g. traumatic brain injury, chronic pain, post traumatic stress disorder)
- Criminal and Family cases where there is a suspected acquired brain injury or neurological condition
- Mental capacity assessments
The goal of physiotherapy treatments is to restore, maintain and maximize strength. Neurological Physiotherapy focuses on the assessment and treatment of neurological disorders using methods that follow the principles and foundations of both NDT (Neuro-Developmental Treatment) and Bobath approaches. Both approaches use specific hands-on techniques used by physical therapists to enhance the participation and function of adults or children with neurological disorders.
Neurological disorders can affect different people in different ways, therefore our treatment plans and goals are specific to the individual’s needs and current level of ability. To optimize your rehabilitation all visits are spent one on one with your physiotherapist and sessions are generally 90 minutes.
Our Centre is equipped with rehabilitation and high-performance adapted physical equipment.
- Kinesis help us provide You with state-of-the-art high-performance adapted equipment to help our patients reach their goals faster.
- Video gesture control technology (IREX): We our proud to use the IREX System from GestureTek that permit to immerse the patient in Dynamic Virtual Reality Video games that are tailor to target your specific physical and neurological challenges that also permit the Clinicians to record and measure your progress.
Occupational Therapy (OT) assists to resolve the barriers that interfere with your ability to participate in activities and tasks that are important and meaningful to you.
Occupational Therapy is geared specifically to increase your level of independence with activities of daily living, increase your overall level of function and reduce disability despite your illness or injury.
The Occupational Therapist uses a holistic and client-centered approach. The professional takes into consideration the physical, emotional and cognitive dimension of the individual in order to choose interventions that suit the client’s needs. An evaluation of the client’s functional limitations regarding daily activities including their personal care, domestic needs, work/school responsibilities, and leisure activities, will be carried out on the first session. This assessment will lead to an intervention plan according to the client’s objectives. Here are some examples of services that you could benefit from:
• Recommendations of orthoses, equipment or technical aids.
• Workplace evaluation and/or adaptation recommendations.
• Assessment through task simulation (e.g. cooking, working, cleaning).
• Physical and/or cognitive training related to personal objectives.
• Education regarding pain management, stress management, energy conservation and sleep hygiene strategies.
• Intervention and educations regarding postural hygiene, joint protection strategies and body mechanics.
• Learning to compensate for cognitive deficits (planning, memory, attention, etc.) that may interfere with the person’s ability to work or learn.
• Assessment and interventions in mental health.
• Application for obtaining adapted transport: https://www.stm.info/sites/default/files/application_form_ta.pdf
• Application for obtaining disabled parking permit: https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/fileadmin/documents/formulaires/disabled-parking-permit-application.pdf
• Application for obtaining caregiver attestation: https://www.csst.qc.ca/formulaires/Documents/7012web.pdf
Massage Therapy is an old form of drug-free, non-invasive healing treatment that uses diferent forms of touch to: manage and reduce pain, increase circulation and immune system function, reduce stress, increase muscle flexibility and joint function, as well as contribute to a sense of well-being. Our Registered Massage Therapists will provide you with the most holistic approach to your needs.
Massage Therapy can be used for:
• Muscle strains
• Headaches and Migraines
• Low Back Pain, Sciatica, Hip Pain
• Upper Back, Neck, Shoulder Pain
• Plantar Fascitis, Calf Pain
• Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Numbness, Tingling
• Joint dysfunction
• Arthritis (degenerative and inflammatory)
• Athletic/Sports Injuries
• Overuse injuries (including too much time at the computer!)
• Neurological conditions
• Stress and Chronic Fatigue