Canada has one of the highest rates of multiple sclerosis (MS) in the world. MS can cause symptoms such as extreme fatigue, lack of coordination, weakness, tingling, impaired sensation, vision problems, bladder problems, cognitive impairment and mood changes.
Teletherapy and Digital Health
In light of the current situation, we are pleased to offer Telehealth services for mental or neurological disorders. We offer an online physical and cognitive rehabilitation program as an alternative treatment option to meet the individual needs of our clients.
PoNS is now also intended for the short term treatment (14 weeks) of gait deficit due to mild and moderate symptoms from MS and is to be used in conjunction with physical therapy.
What is PoNS™?
PoNS™ (short for Portable Neuromodulation Stimulator) is an innovative, non-surgical medical device that gently stimulates the surface of the tongue, exciting the neural network flowing to the brain. This neural activity is believed to enable neuroplasticity, which may restore lost function.
At the Montreal Neurotherapy Center, the treatments for Multiple Sclerosis focuses on addressing physical, emotional, cognitive and rehabilitation needs of the MS patients and their family members through a team approach. The Center offers state-of-the-art resources to provide the most advanced specialized care, supported by an extensive program of research and education.
Program highlights for the Center include:
- Neurorehabilitation, non invasive brain stimulation, neuropsychology
- Cognitive training
Testing for Multiple Sclerosis
- Fatigue (Done by PT and OT)
- Walking difficulties (Done by PT)
- Weakness (Done byPT and OT)
- Poor balance/fall risk (Done by PT)
- Stiffness, spasms, spasticity (Done By PT and OT)
- Cognitive changes (Done by OT)
- Pain (PT and OT)
- Tremor/Ataxia (PT and OT)
- Sensory changes (including proprioception) (PT and OT)
- Reduced manual dexterity (OT)
- Poor vision (OT)
- Decreased functional independence
- Medical assessment
- Brain imaging (if needed)
- Lab tests (if needed)
- Electroencephalograpy (EEG)
- Polismogram (PSG)
Treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
- Vestibular/balance rehabilitation
- Strength training
- Gait training – dynamic activities
- Supportive footwear
- Gait assistive devices
- Gait training
- Behavioral modification
- Environmental modification
- Cooling strategies
- Fall Prevention Program
- Non invasive Brain stimulation
See How The Montreal Neurotherapy Center Can Help!